We are closing over 20 embassies for a week, because we have “credible’ but unspecific information on possible attacks. Had it been left at that, I wouldn’t be writing this column, but now a new storyline is emerging that makes me suspicious of the whole operation. It is being claimed that the NSA spying program is responsible for the information and that it proves why we need to continue it. In my mind it raises a lot of questions.
1) Why would terrorists overseas, who are planning attacks overseas, be discussing the plan here, especially when it’s common knowledge that the NSA is intercepting all calls and emails?
2) Isn’t the timing awfully convenient? Just as members of congress are reconsidering the authorization because of constituent pressure, this comes out.
3) Was there ever a threat or is this a scheme to convince people the program works?
4) There had been 2 actual attacks on the Benghazi embassy prior to the Stevens assassination, but they took security away from him. So why is this “credible warning” getting such a strong response?
5) If there really was credible information, why wouldn’t we keep our mouths shut, issue a travel warning and set a trap and bushwhack them? We could put a real hurting on their operation.
If anyone but Obama was president, none of this might enter my mind, but with Obama, there is nothing you can rule out. My guess is there will be no attack and everyone will sing the praises of the NSA for “preventing” the attacks.